- The Lodge. Mabula Game Lodge is a preserve located just 2 1/2 hours drive from Johannesburg, South Africa in the malaria-free Waterberg Region of the Limpopo Province. The diverse landscape of grassland plains dotted with rocky outcroppings is an ideal habitat to Africa’s Big Five: lion, leopard, elephant, rhinoceros, and cape buffalo.
The lodge is stunning, decorated in a traditional African style. Mabula offers traditional thatch roof suites with luxury touches. Food is delicious and plentiful!
The great rooms of the lodge give you a feeling of a bygone era. The spirit of Africa permeates the resort. I kept finding myself humming the Indiana Jones theme song as I wandered the grounds.
Bedrooms are cozy and luxurious and offer a wonderful place to rest your head after an active day viewing animals in the Africa countryside or relaxing poolside. Don’t be surprised if you see four-legged friends strolling outside your bedroom window!
The resort grounds encourage restful relaxation, exploration, and recharging of the soul.
There are places to enjoy your morning coffee, afternoon cocktail, or just cozy up into a chair under a tree and read awhile.
Wandering the resort is an adventure in itself!
2. The Guides. The guides at Mabula are incredibly knowledgeable – they know their stuff! Our guide had been a part of Mabula for over 30 years. His love for his job and the animals and wildlife of Africa was astounding. It was a privilege to get to experience the African bushveld with this amazing man.
We spent three days and two nights at Mabula Game Lodge. Arriving around lunchtime the first day, we enjoyed a beautiful meal then set out on our first afternoon sunset safari. We were welcomed back to the lodge after sunset to an amazing dinner. The next morning, we began before sunrise with another safari, then returned to breakfast for some time to relax during the day before another afternoon sunset safari. We finished our visit with one last sunrise safari before our departure back to Cape Town, South Africa. This was absolutely perfect and we were astounded with all that we saw.
3. The Animals. This is what we go on safari for, isn’t it? There are no words to describe the magic of seeing these animals in their natural habitat.
The safari vehicles were comfortable and we were offered blankets to keep warm with in the cooler weather. I think we were all sitting on the edge of our seats, waiting for what might appear around the next corner!
And we weren’t disappointed.
I will never forget the feeling of sitting in our land cruiser watching a heard of eight giant elephants lumber by. This experience truly brought tears to my eyes and the ground quaked under their thundering weight. The sheer power and wonderment of seeing these animals is primal; it moves the spirit in a way nothing else can.
4. The African Sunrises
Sunrise in Africa is something extra special. We left before the sun rose above the horizon, as animals are most active at sunrise and sunset. As the stars faded to the orange morning light, our guide would stop at a picturesque spot and set up a lovely little table of coffee and snacks for us to enjoy surrounded by the wonderment of the African sunrise.
The African sky is like a painting. I have never seen so many beautiful hues of reds, yellows, and oranges combined together across a horizon.
5. And the beautiful African Sunsets. The sunsets were equally amazing. Our guides offered happy hour on the African plains, with a cocktail or soda and some snacks to tide us over until dinner.
I had never shared a happy hour with a herd of zebras until this adventure! I remember standing at the edge of the field gazing out over the grassy plains and thanking God for the opportunity to experience that moment. It truly is a magical experience.
6. The Magical Memories You Will Make. I was surprised at all the emotions that this enchanted place stirred inside my heart. Mabula Game Lodge offered my family a once in a lifetime experience. Go! Go now. Don’t miss out on this phenomenal adventure.
Thinking about planning an African safari? Already been on one? We’d love to hear from you! Leave us your comments and thoughts in the section below. Don’t forget to like, follow, and share our blog! Thank you for reading!