Planning a trip to Jackson, Wyoming but don’t want to break the bank? As you probably already know, Jackson is one of the more expensive cities to visit, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t fun, free (or almost free), and super enjoyable things to do! Here’s our list.
- Wander the town square and its plethora of shops and eateries. We found so many cool shops with interesting trinkets for sale! Be sure not to miss Gaslight Alley on the corner of North Cache Street and Deloney Ave. There are several shops around the square worth perusing. Here are a few of our favorites.
MADE is a store filled with handmade, re purposed and found goods created by over 250 all-American makers.
Mountain Dandy – Classic provisions for the sharp gentleman or home. Cool, refined and rebellious working with all-American makers.
Valley Bookstore – Your classic Mom & Pop independent bookstore. For 45 Years they have supplied the literary needs of Jackson Hole.
Mountain Man Toy Shop – Daniel LOVED this shop! Mountain Man Toy Shop is filled with handmade tools, gifts and accessories for the modern day outdoorsman, inspired by the rich outdoor heritage and lifestyle of Jackson Hole, Wyoming. We were both enamored by their tomahawk selection.
2. There are galleries galore in Jackson and so many amazing images to ogle, but our favorite gallery is MANGELSEN – Images of Nature. Thomas Mangelsen is a renowned photographer who has been capturing images from all over the world for over 40 years. His works have been published in National Geographic, Smithsonian, and many others, but we were particularly drawn to him because of his work with Grizzly Bear 399. Grizzly 399 is probably the most famous matriarch bear in the world! See amazing pictures and view the book Mangelsen created about her called Grizzlies of Pilgrim Creek. If you spot her in the wild, you can even buy your ‘I saw Grizzly 399’ sticker here!
3. Teton Gravity Research – This company began in 1995 when three friends pooled their money to buy camera equipment in order to document the progression taking place in action sports. Eighteen years and thirty-two films later, the company continues to evolve. Transcending film, TGR has emerged as a media force in action sports culture. TGR has a storefront in downtown Jackson where they play free movies throughout the day. We stopped in one Friday night and enjoyed some amazing cinematography and epic, breathtaking footage from an expedition snowboarding down Grand Teton and mountains in Nepal. Worth a stop and a great place to rest your feet while learning more about the area and epic outdoor opportunities in the world.
4. Getting hungry after watching some flicks at Teton Gravity Research? Head nextdoor to Pinky G’s Pizzeria for some good grub. Pizza can be purchased by the slice or by the pie and portions are generous. Pinky G’s has been voted best pizza of Jackson since 2011. We loved it so much, we ate there twice!
5. What’s next? Body refueled by pizza and mind inspired by movies, head over to Snow King Mountain Resort for some bouldering. Located at the base of Snow King Mountain, this park offers three large boulders/climbing walls for practice. Every Tuesday night throughout the summer, the Town Pump takes place at the bouldering park. The Town Pump is a not-for-profit collaboration between Teton County / Jackson Parks and Recreation Department and volunteers from the Jackson Hole climbing community. The Pump holds clinics and competitions, and generates money for climbing holds for the Teton Boulder Park while fostering camaraderie. Go join in the fun and maybe even participate in a climb or two!
6. Feeling a little hot and parched after your day of roaming around downtown Jackson? Head back towards the antler arches and look for the Jackson Drug Original Soda Fountain for some ice cream and people watching on the square. Yes, the ice cream is a little pricey, but the people watching on the square is free, and epic, I might add. Try a local favorite, huckleberry!
Even though Jackson, Wyoming can be expensive, we had loads of fun on our ‘almost free day’ there. We hope you find some of these suggestions as entertaining as we did! Enjoy your stay in this wonderful place!